TryCatchFinally.net Some SQL, some .NET, and whatever else

2Mar/130

Refreshing changed .NET SQL CLR assemblies after patching/updates

After applying some Windows updates to one of my servers, I started getting the following error when I ran a customer .NET SQL-CLR stored proc:

Server: Msg 6522, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user defined routine or aggregate 'somemethodyourecalling':

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Assembly in host store has a different signature than assembly in GAC. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131050)

I'd imported some additional assemblies into SQL Server for use in SQL CLR mapped stored procedures, and the Windows updates had included a service pack for .NET, which changed some of the assemblies. Now the version I'd linked to SQL Server no longer existed on disk, and SQL couldn't load it - that made sense, and is documented pretty clearly in this MS Support article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949080

However, I had dozens of servers with SQL CLR components enabled, and hundreds of different assemblies loaded across them all, and not always the same in each server, so a standard update script wouldn't work to refresh all the changed assemblies (the MS Support link provides a list of the standard ones that cause that error, but if you've got custom assemblies loaded, or you've loaded an assembly that's not specifically cleared for SQL CLR, then it's not on the list either). To deal with this, I wrote a script that fetches the assembly list for a database and attempts to refresh every one of them from their disk location. If they haven't changed, the update attempt will fail with a specific error message about the MVID, and there's no change for that assembly.

Also, I've commented out the line that restricts it to just framework assemblies (System.* and Microsoft.*), but you can uncomment that line if you'd like to restrict the refresh from attempting to reload your custom assemblies as well.

DECLARE @AssemblyName VARCHAR(255),
	    @AssemblyLocation VARCHAR(255),
	    @AlterAssemblyCommand NVARCHAR(1024),
	    @DotNetFolder VARCHAR(100)

   SET @DotNetFolder = 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727'

CREATE TABLE #Results (
		AssemblyName VARCHAR(255),
		AssemblyLocation VARCHAR(255),
		AlterAssemblyCommand NVARCHAR(1024),
		Results VARCHAR(1024)
)

select sa.name as AssemblyName,
		saf.name as Assemblylocation,
		case when charindex('', saf.name) = 0
			then 'ALTER ASSEMBLY [' + sa.name + '] FROM ''' + @DotNetFolder
			else 'ALTER ASSEMBLY [' + sa.name + '] FROM '''
		end + saf.name + (case right(saf.name, 4) when '.dll' then '' else '.dll' end) + ''''
		as AlterAssemblyCommand
INTO #Refresh
from sys.assemblies sa
join sys.assembly_files saf
  on sa.assembly_id = saf.assembly_id
where sa.name <> ('Microsoft.SqlServer.Types')
  --and (sa.name like 'System.%' or sa.name like 'microsoft.%')

DECLARE Commands CURSOR FAST_FORWARD FOR
SELECT AssemblyName,
	   AssemblyLocation,
	   AlterAssemblyCommand
  FROM #Refresh

OPEN Commands

FETCH NEXT FROM Commands
INTO @AssemblyName,
	   @AssemblyLocation,
	   @AlterAssemblyCommand

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
BEGIN

	BEGIN TRY
		exec sp_executesql @AlterAssemblyCommand

		insert into #Results
		SELECT @AssemblyName,
				@AssemblyLocation,
				@AlterAssemblyCommand,
				'Assembly refreshed successfully'

	END TRY
	BEGIN CATCH

		insert into #Results
		SELECT @AssemblyName,
				@AssemblyLocation,
				@AlterAssemblyCommand,
				CASE ERROR_NUMBER()
					WHEN 6285 THEN 'No update necessary (MVID match)'
					WHEN 6501 THEN 'Physical assembly not found at specified location (SQL Error 6501)'
					ELSE ERROR_MESSAGE() + ' (SQL Error ' + convert(varchar(10), ERROR_NUMBER()) + ')'
				END

	END CATCH

	FETCH NEXT FROM Commands
	INTO @AssemblyName,
		   @AssemblyLocation,
		   @AlterAssemblyCommand

END

CLOSE Commands
DEALLOCATE Commands

SELECT * FROM #Results

drop table #refresh
drop table #Results

While troubleshooting the error, I came across this as well - I don't have a SQL 2012 server handy to check with, it looks like this problem might be resolved with a reboot in SQL 2012:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh479773.aspx

I'm not sure if that's the case, but it would make things easier. Also, it would be nice if there was some kind of "ALTER ASSEMBLY [SomeAssembly] REFRESH" command to address this problem, but maybe in a future version.

Additionally, this error can be caused if the signing of an assembly has changed, but not necessarily the signature, but just reloading it from disk won't work because the method that SQL Server uses to determine if there's been a change is the MVID, and that doesn't change unless there's been a code change of some kind (see the Connect bug here). In those cases, you'll actually need to drop and recreate the assembly, including any supporting objects that rely on that assembly.