TryCatchFinally.net Some SQL, some .NET, and whatever else

31May/133

Error creating emailed report subscriptions in Sharepoint-integrated SSRS

Anybody who has the rights to run a report in SSRS can set up a subscription, delivering the report to their own email address. However, if you try to deliver the report as an email to somebody else, you might be greeted with this unclear error message:
Reporting Services - other users email address
It reads:

A subscription delivery error has occurred. (rsDeliveryError)
   One of the extension parameters is not valid for the
   following reason: The account you are using does not
   have administrator privileges. A subscription cannot
   be created for bob.thompson@mydomain.com.
   (rsInvalidExtensionParameter)

I was setting up a subscription in our Sharepoint-integrated SQL Reporting Services site, and was attending to send the report to our shared group email address. I could set it up to deliver to me and I could forward it, but it wasn't letting me send the email to anybody else's email address, either inside or outside the organization.

Solution: Grant your user "Create Alerts" and "Manage Alerts" permission

I received this error because I lacked the "Create Alerts" and "Manage Alerts" on the report in question (or folder, or higher up). The error says you need to be an administrator, but doesn't really tell you what's wrong with your request - it's really complaining that you're delivering an alert to somebody else. Granting those rights to your user account (for that report, or to an object above it so they propagate down to that report) allows you to send the report to any email address you want.

I hope this helps!

10Mar/130

“Initializing Reconciler has failed” when setting up SQL Compact replication

When initializing replication to a .NET Compact Framework client on a mobile device, I was receiving an error message when I attempted to start the synchronize:

Initializing the SQL Server Reconciler has failed. Try again.

I had confirmed that SQL Compact web replication was set up correctly, and checking the URL came back as expected. Searching for the error online comes back with a dozen recommendations, but when I traced the replication sync attempt, I saw the following statement executed:

exec sp_helpdistpublisher N'SQLSERVERNAME'

Followed immediately by the error message:

The remote server "SQLSERVERNAME" does not exist, or has not been designated as a valid Publisher, or you may not have permission to see available Publishers.

Sure enough, executing that command in SSMS, logged in as my replication user, gave me the same error message. At some point, I'd changed the user I was using to set up the subscription, and that user didn't have rights to view the publication list on my SQL Server. The fix was pretty easy:

  1. In SQL Management Studio, right-click the publication
  2. Select "Properties" and then open the "Publication Access List" tab
  3. Add the user you're connecting your subscriber with to this list

Here's a shot of the screen where I had to make this change, in case there's any confusion:

Publication Security Settings